around and love this city because it fully deserves to be loved" - Else
Often, when we speak about
Timisoara, we refer to it as the Little Vienna, a city of flowers,
parks, an economic model or the place where various cultures and
traditions merge. Timisoara has a privileged location in Central and
Eastern Europe, being situated at an average distance of about 550 km
from Bucharest, the capital of Romania, about 170 km from Belgrade, the
capital of Serbia and Montenegro, and about 300 km from Budapest, the
capital of Hungary.
Timisoara is situated in a
plain region, crossed by two rivers the Timis and the Bega.
Its geographic location made Timisoara an important strategic location
at the beginning of the 18th century, mainly due to the expansion of the
Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1716, after the siege of the city by Eugen
of Savoy, the city fell under Austro-Hungarian domination. The Citadel,
which was once part of the stronghold of the City of timisoara,
currently hosts the public library, art galleries, shopping centres and
the collection of folk art of the Museum of the Banat.
Between 1871 - 1897 the
railways network extended all over the region, joining the city with
Arad, Caransebes, Orsova, Sinnicolau Mare, buzias, Radna and Modos. The
Eastern Railways Station, in the Fabric district, was built in 1876. The
first telegraph office opened on 24 April 1854; the first phone line was
inaugurated in 1879, with an initial number of 52 subscribers. Public
gas lighting was introduced in 1760, and in 1770 there were 100 such gas
lamps burning in the city. This makes Timisoara the first city in
Romania with public gas lighting, and the first city in Continental
Europe to introduce public electrical lighting since 1884.
The buildings surrounding the
Victory Square are bordered, on the south, by the Romanian Orthodox
Metropolitan Cathedral and on the north by the National theatre. In the
middle of these monumental buildings lie two of Timisoara's landmarks,
the so-called Fountain with Fish and the statue of the she-wolf with
Romulus and Remus, a replica of the famous "Lupa Capitolina" in Rome.
The "Capitol" Cinema,
situated next to the Cathedral, was built by the contractors J. Steiner
between 1929 - 1930, and besides being a cinema hall the building also
houses the "Banatul" Philharmonic. Opposite the cinema lies the imposing
building of the City Hall, which previously housed the School for Higher
At the end of the Victory
Boulevard opens another boulevard, which in December 1989 witnessed part
of the events of the time and consequently bears the generic name of
Boulevard of the Revolution of Timisoara. The current buildings of the
"Victor Babes" University of Medicine and Pharmacy, the former building
of the Roman-Catholic Seminar and the Prefect's Office of the Timis
County which was initially meant to house the "Sofia Imbroane" Girls
School. The building in which the "Victor Babes" University of Medicine
and Pharmacy is currently located represented, before 1945, one of the
most important cultural centres of the "Victor Babes" University of
Medicine and Pharmacy, the German School "Banatia".
There is an unusually great
number of parks in Timisoara: the Central Park, the Prak of the Roses,
the Park of Justice, the Botanical Park, the Children's Park, the Queen
Timisoara also offers a wide variety of places for people to spend their
spare time, providing for both spiritual and physical needs.
The Opera Square, the Union
Square and the Liberty Square are only a few of the beautiful and
picturesque places that make the delight of any visitor.
The passage of time and the
pulse of modern everyday life have left their marks on Little Vienna.