of Medicine and Pharmacy of Timisoara has been carrying on a many-sided
and highly-qualified educational, research and medical assistance
activity, for more than five decades.
achievements of this half-century are a proof of the joint effort of the
academic staff, the students and of the technical and administrative
The University of
Medicine and Pharmacy of Timisoara was set up in 1945, a year of
milestones for the political, economical and social Romanian life, when
communist regime took control of our country.
It is a well-known fact
that the state of affairs in the medical field was precarious in the
interwar period. Tuberculosis, pellagra, malaria and other diseases of
the kind were widespread, resulting in high child mortality, rising up
to 180%, and the overall mortality up to 20-22%.
The Order in Council no. 660, on the
setting up of The West University, was issued in December 1944, and was
signed by King Mihai I of Romania himself, on December, 30th,
of the same year. This document followed the Report no. 2414/30.12.1944,
signed by Stefan Voitec, The Ministry of National Education, M.
Romniceanu, The Ministry of Finance, A.Leucutia, The Ministry of
National Economy and D.Danielopol, The Ministry of Health and Social
The first article of The Order in Council
stipulated that The West University of Timisoara should comprise the
following faculties: The Faculty of Law, The Faculty of Letters and
Philosophy, The Faculty of Sciences, The Faculty of Human Medicine,
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, The Faculty of Pharmacy and The
Faculty of Theology.
The first document, which recorded the
establishment of The Timisoara Faculty of Medicine, was the Decree
no. 104 from January, 17th, 1945, signed by Dr.
Dumitru Bagdesar, the Ministry of Health back then, a prominent
personality of Romanian medical life. However, the fundamental document,
which led, de jure et de facto, to the setting up of the Faculty of
Medicine, was The Law no.361 of May, 4th, 1945,
modifying the provisions of The Order in Council for establishing The
West University, so as to meet the objective requirements for
specialists formation in the healthcare field, in that very part of the
country. In actual fact, The Timisoara Faculty of Medicine started
functioning on the July, 15th, 1945, with the two
first academic years: the first year of study, of 412 students, and the
second year of study, of 76 students.
The opening ceremony of the faculty took
place on July, 18th, 1945 - event that the students had been
looking forward to - was warmly greeted. The Dean of the Faculty, Prof.
Dr. Şerban Brătianu, emphasized, in his inaugural address, the
importance of establishing such a cradle of medical higher education,
enormously helpful for public health and long wished for desideratum.
During the first three months, there were
only theoretical courses held, namely: anatomy, physiology, chemistry,
the lectures being given in the present Students' Union, on Tineretii
Boulevard ( the former "Notre Dame" Secondary School), in its aula and
in the other lecture rooms.
An important change in the course of the
medical educational process occurred in October 1945, when the faculty
was given its nowadays residence, "Banatia", a former Russian military
hospital, which had been functioning since the autumn of 1944. For that
fore-mentioned purpose, Banatia was evacuated, on government request.
The new location stirred an intense activity of developing an
University of Medicine and Pharmacy stands as a prestigious institution
of higher education, with an honourable history path, and numerous
achievements, rising above the difficult socio-political conditions. In
so doing, it is almost certain that The University of Medicine and
Pharmacy of Timisoara has a bright future ahead, hoping to get better
results in training the undergraduates, on the way of becoming
physicians, pharmacists and dental technicians, as well as in ensuring
the proper medical assistance for the population.